Sunday, October 18

You can call me "Prof." for short

I started teaching classes this week!



While I am of course sad that I am no longer on paid vacation, I figure it's about time to start earning my keep around here.  And I am definitely doing just that!  I have 6 different classes, and each class meets twice a week, for a total of about 18 actual class hours.  Now, 18 hours per week doesn't sound like all that much, but including all of the prep-work and whatnot required, it actually feels like quite a lot.  I also have the blessing/curse of having pretty much complete control over my syllabus and teaching methods, which translates to having a fair amount of work outside of class (and, of course, phenomenal classes =)).  I also have to get up for 8AM class, Monday through Friday.  Ouch!


The students themselves are a fairly interesting crew, about what I would expect of a bunch of Chinese college kids.  They somehow manage to be both shy and aggressively friendly at the same time (more on this soon).  As well, my students are the first-year students who are not majoring in English, but still have a foreign English teacher.  Which essentially means I have the worst English students possible in the school, which I believe was an assignment based primarily on the fact that I can speak Chinese.  The students seem to like my classes, though, and I look forward to a good semester.

2 comments:

ben said...

I think it's funny that in the first picture, all the girls are on the left and the boys on the right. Is that intentional?

Jackson Davis said...

Hahaha well done! I almost made a note of this in the posting itself. It is not intentional, but rather is a result of the college students here being about as mature as American middle-schoolers when it comes to the opposite sex.

Post a Comment