Monday, October 19

The Note Card Series, Part 1

The Task:
I asked all of my students on the first day to fill out note cards with answers to the following questions:
  1. Name (in Chinese Characters):
  2. Name (in Pinyin):
  3. English name:
  4. Why do you want to learn English?
  5. Questions/comments for me?
 The competition for the best result is fierce.


Today's Category
Completely Incomprehensible

In "Completely Incomprehensible", points are awarded for managing a complete miscommunication on some level.  And the top five are...
  
#5
Name: Sun Yuan Ze
Why English?: "My sister think".

I'm even fairly handy with Chinese, and I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.


 

#4

Name: Liang Shuang
Why English?: "No why ways."
**Bonus Points**
+1 -- English name: "Kay" 

I am fairly certain she was trying to say that she doesn't have a choice in the matter.  Is that what you're getting here?




#3

Name: He Ye
"I like music"

The funny thing is, this guy had like 4 other guys helping him write his card.  I wonder if he actually likes music, or if he just has no idea what this says?

...Good talk.



#2

Name: Wang Xiao Yu
Why English?:  ????????

Apparently this guy misunderstood the directions.  I just hope it wasn't anything important.



#1

And my personal category-favorite, coming in at #1, is Peng Yu.

Why English?: "Funny!"

Yeah... I guess it is.



(Stay tuned this week for more on the Note Card Series!)

7 comments:

Em said...

I haven't laughed this hard at the comp in a while, so thanks for that! Brilliant. I must say they do have good penmanship though.

Ali said...

english is indeed funny... also perhaps similarly to Thai - my students could not comprehend the difference between fun and funny no matter how times i explained it... nor could they grasp that you couldn't feel fun or have funny - so perhaps she was trying to suck up and tell you English was fun? actually she was probably just trying to say she wanted to date you ;)

Unknown said...

I am in tears.

Anonymous said...

Jackson,
Your blog is freaking awesome!!! I tried to stop reading it like five times to go study, but I just couldn't. You are totally screwed, by the way. With all these cute asians after you constantly, you won't be able to contain yourself! I miss you brother. Let me know that plane ticket website, for serious!

-Shardow

Liz said...

i agree with the guy above me: this is an awesome blog! btw, if you haven't already translated it, the guy who answered in chinese said that he wanted to learn english because he wanted to master a foreign language, and also to give him an advantage in... a computer major? he also asked how he could become better at memorizing...some sort of english vocab? and if he needs to review the all the vocab every day.

Jackson Davis said...

Hahaha thanks; I hadn't actually bothered trying to translate. My reading and writing are far inferior to my speaking (ie- almost non-existent =)).

K said...

Wang Xiaoyu:
why English? "To better grasp a foreign language, and to benefit my Computing major."
questions: "How do you proficiently memorize those hard-to-pronounce English vocab items? Do you have to review vocab daily to learn English?

Post a Comment