Tuesday, October 13

"Best Sonny"

A few days ago, I woke to a beautiful, warm, sunny day--a rare commodity in the chill of mid-autumn-- and decided that it was a good day for some excitement. So, I decided to go buy a cell phone instead.  But that's the thing about living in China: buying a cell phone is no longer an annoying-but-necessary task; it's an adventure!

I resisted buying one of these at first; I figured if I could get away with it in the states, I definitely could here.  However, I have since found pretty much everyone and their grandmother has a cell phone here (or as my boss says, "even everyone's grandmother has the cell phone"), and apparently they haven't discovered email yet, so until I got one, I had essentially no social life.  That is not of course to assume that with one I would have a social life, but that is neither here nor there.  Anyhow, luckily the clerks at the first cell phone store I found were very excited to help me buy a phone with my broken Chinese, so it was actually a rather fun process ("excuse me, do you know how to say 'sim card'?").  Additionally, I am now the proud owner of a brand new, 100% authentic "Best Sonny" brand cell phone.  Trendy and cheap!  Although, it was hard to resist the slightly more expensive "Kokia" phones.  Good ol' Chinese copyright law! (I love 20¢ DVDs!)

As I was still enjoying the nice weather, and high on the feeling that today was an auspicious day, I continued on an exploratory jaunt around town.  Soon after, as I was passing a restaurant nearby, the person working at the door pulled the old Duck-Inside-and-Tell-Everyone-to-Come-Stare-At-the-Foreigner maneuver.  As this is fairly standard procedure downtown, I simply continued on my way, but this time was soon chased down by a rather enthusiastic and uncharacteristically brave English student, who insisted that I go back to the restaurant and chat for a minute.  I eventually acquiesced, and let myself be dragged back into the restaurant, where I promptly met everyone that worked there (including her brother, the boss =)), and was fed a wonderful free lunch with the staff, who were all on break.  I will admit, as well, I had to break tradition and eat some meat during that lunch, as it was the first time I had ever had a chance to eat 乌龟 (WuGui), which after some discussion, pantomiming, and eventually some drawing,  I learned means "turtle".  It was an exciting cultural experience, but I must be honest, the actual turtle "meat" (I don't know how they get away with calling it that) rates about a 3/10 on the deliciousness scale.  Yuck!

Once we finished eating our various delicious and less-delicious dishes, "Anna Bear" (people here have funny English names) had to take me around to see all the touristy sights around town, which I hadn't the heart to tell her I had already seen.

First, we saw the "Spring and Autumn Tower", which is around 750 years old, and quite tall.  We didn't go inside the tower-proper, as it was not open at the time, but the surrounding palace buildings were still pretty neat.



Then, we saw a large statue of a famous ancient general, "Cao Cao".   Apparently the statue was built almost 10 whole years ago.  Not as cool.



We also ran into a child biker gang, which was rather intimidating at first.






 But it turned out they liked having their pictures taken.






And I also made sure to take a picture of one of the little turtles on sale in the park, just so I could try to feel bad later about eating him:


Turns out I'm heartless.
Sorry little guy; you are even worse than moon cakes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson, your life in the US will never be the same. I'm afraid you will get used to all the attention you're getting. The young woman that showed you around sure has a pretty smile.
Love, Mom

Jackson Davis said...

Don't worry mom, I'll just live here forever! Problem solved, right?

And please, you're embarrassing me in front of the internet!

Em said...

I love love love all the peace sign poses.

Post a Comment