Tuesday, October 20

The Note Card Series, Part 2

 Today is Day 2 of the Note Card Series.

Today's Category
The Cat, Yes or No, has been Killed?

In "The Cat, Yes or No,has been Killed?", points are awarded for the quality of students' questions for me.  This may include audacity, or sheer innocence.  And without further ado, today we have the top ten:

#10

Name: Li Lun
Questions:
"1) Do you like pop music?"

Fair enough question.  Sure, I guess I like some.

"2) Where do you live now?"
Hmm, I don't know if I should answer that...

"3) What are you doing with Yao Ming?"

Wait, what?



#9

Name: Sheng Weihua
Question: "Do you like China and Yao Ming?  Why?"

Clearly in China, "Why not?" is not an option when talking about Yao Ming.


#8

NameZhao Ling
Questions/Comments?: "Do you like basketball?  NBA is so cool.  James is my  I like James very much."  (Referring to LeBron James.)

**Bonus  cute points**
+1 -- "Can I play basketball or with you?"

Apparently the NBA is huge here.  Also, I guess "LeBron" is too hard to learn. Unless, of course, Zhao Ling and LeBron James are already on a last-name basis.



#7

Question:  "Why do you wirte don't used your right hand?"

This is actually fairly legit curiosity around here.  So far I haven't met a single other lefty in China.  They just don't really have them.  What really blows their minds is when you tell them that Barack Obama is left-handed.



#6

Name: Qu Xuyang
Question: "If you  Can  I hope we have a  In class.  Can you speak English slow?"

Cute.



#5

Name: Chen Weiqi
Questions: "I want to know if I take mistakes, you will don't like me?"

Sorry buddy, not only are you right, but you are already screwed, along with every single one of your classmates.



#4

Name: Li Zhenghao
Question: "What's you favorite food? How much a hot dog in your city?"

Zhenghao has decided where is interests really lie.



#3

Name: Li Zitong
Question: "I want to know, the America Yes or No, is a free country."


Clearly, Li Zitong does not like his American teacher, and wants him to get fired.  So... next question.



#2

Name: Zhao Guang
Question: "Can you teach us 3 years?"


Bonus points for flattery, but are you trying to give my poor mother a heart attack??  Also, it's the first day!  I feel sorry for the poor girl/guy who goes on a first date with you.




And, coming in in the top spot:
#1

Name: Wei Ya Ning
Question: "What kind of United States?"
**Bonus Points**
+1 for Obvious Dictionary Use:
Why English: "Would like to facilitate the daily communication with foreigners."

Man, this guy would have done great in yesterday's category.  What kind of United States, indeed?

2 comments:

Ali said...

do your students have electronic dictionaries? they were very popular in Thailand and produced answers like Wei Ya Ning's and often contributed to indecipherable word-for-word translations of thai :P

Jackson Davis said...

Oh yeah. Another of my favorite dictionary show-offs:
"Because English, in fact, has been a global language for communication. In addition, I thought if I learned this language well, it can help me in getting an ideal job."

Post a Comment