Saturday, November 7

Quality Control, China Style


The other day, I was informed that I was required to take part in something called the Evaluation System for Foreign Language Expert, a sort of employment screening exam concocted as a joint venture between the government's Foreign Affairs Department and the Capital University of Economics and Business in Beijing.  I hadn't heard of it before, and honestly, I still think it is a great idea.  The state of the Foreign Language Education industry here is laughable, and integrating some sort of quality control system would be fantastic.  However, I think the test simply goes to show that the quality control department here is in desperate need of some quality control.


Section 1: Psychological Test

The first thing the Psychological test does is to remind you that this is simply a personality test, and therefore there are no right or wrong answers.  And so, as we look at some of my favorite questions from this portion of the exam, let's keep this in mind.    

(Edit: Since I first took this test, the wording on the Psychological section has changed.  Now, you should note, there is "only one proper answer" per question on the test, and thus, one proper personality type that we should all shoot for.  Good luck!)

If you were asked to inform the others with an urgent notice, what would you plan to do?
  • I would post the urgent notice to the public.
  • I would broadcast it on the Internet.
  • I would send text messages via mobile and ask them to reply with confirmation. I would only call those without reply.
  • I would send a group text message via Mobil.
  • I would inform some people and ask them to inform the others through the phone.
Just a little psychology question. No big deal. No ulterior motives here, whatsoever. Nope. Why do you ask?  (Also, just who are "the others?")

How do you feel on an early autumn morning?
  • I would enjoy the cool weather in fall.
  • A lot of leaves may have fallen.
  • I won't have any special feelings.
  • It might be a little bit cool outside.
  • It might be draining outside.
Man, I hate it when it's draining outside.  What is the correct answer here, I wonder?  And is the last answer a typo, or might they be referring to the extra energy output required to keep a body warm?  We may never know...

If you went out for dinner in a restaurant, where would you prefer to sit?
  • I could tolerate to sit in smoking area if there is no seat in a non-smoking area.
  • It doesn't matter.
  • I might change to another restaurant no seats are available in a non-smoking area.
  • I would sit in a non-smoking area.
  • I would sit in a non-smoking area as far as possible away from the smoking area.
This is obviously a trick question; "non-smoking" hasn't even been invented here yet!

Do you agree that the up-and-down is not the real life, but trivial daily life is real?
  • No, I would like to have an up-and-down life.
  • I kind of agree.
  • It may not match with everyone's life.
  • Yes, I agree.
  • I am kind of disagree.
Honestly, I hope a lot isn't riding on this test, because I have no idea what this means.  I chose (C), because I felt it most closely matched the complete nonsense of the question.


Fill in the blank according to the logic rule: ①A,D,G,J, _ ;② 21,20,18,15,11, _;③8,6,7,5,6,4,_
  • M,6,5
  • L,6,5
  • L,3,7
  • M,5,5
  • L,7,3
Psychology test!  Psychology!  Jeesh.  Although, to be honest, I liked this question.

Assume that you were CEO of a company, and you had to handle 7 cases, each of which could take 6 hours. How would you handle this within 3 hours?

You don't even need to know the answer choices here.  No matter what you do, I think it's been fairly well established that you're completely f@#ked.

How would you assess your strengths among forms of communication?
  • My speech capability is a little bit stronger than my writing.
  • My writing capability is a little bit stronger than my writing.
  • I have stronger writing capability.
  • I have stronger speech capability.
  • Both writing and speech are my strengths.
(B), obviously.

What would you do when you get angry?
  • I scratch my head.
  • I prefer to stay alone.
  • I look for someone to fight with.
  • I become talkative in order to get rid of the upset feeling.
  • I break things.
Answer (A) is really just a vocabulary test, to make sure you know the difference between "angry" and "confused". Also, good luck finding a nice healthy outlet here.  Perhaps illuminating of society here?

If the quality of work were not represented by the salary, then we should pursue to complete the work on time. Do you agree?
  • I don't think that salary should be the most critical factor.
  • It is correct because the quality is reflected by the price.
  • I still think that salary is important, because it represents the capability of my work.
  • It is depends on the type of work.
  • I believe so.
Translation: If you come here to work, and then realize that you're working long hours and getting paid in peanuts, are you going to raise a fuss?

How do you feel when you look at your latest photo? 
  • I am very satisfied with it, and feel that I am becoming more beautiful.
  • It is not bad, and I like the way I am in the picture.
  • I don't like the way I look in the picture.
  • I wouldn't feel any difference.
  • I could see the time stamp on my face and feel dissatisfied with it.
Well, my first intuition was obviously (A), but I decided to take a look at my latest photo just to check.



Arrgh, damn time stamp!


(Browse related posts: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - DIY Exam Link)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:D ;)

Unknown said...

Hi,
Product sourcing china
This blog was very good content regarding product sourcing china. keep writing such blogs.
Thank you!

Unknown said...

TCO offers international buyers a basket of integrated services to bring more confidence, security and knowledge in ordering from Chinese factories.
Quality control china

Robert Joshua said...

The content is so good. Especially the way you explained the functionalities of quality control in China

Post a Comment