Saturday, November 28

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I hope everyone in the States had a wonderful time on this lovely holiday based around eating.  I, myself, forgot about it entirely until I was reminded by my thoughtful students, at which point I had the most intense craving for Western food I've had since I got here.  For those who don't know me, I must explain here that Pumpkin Pie is one of my top three favorite foods in the whole world, and that this is a holiday where it is traditional for me to eat it until I get sick.  Best holiday ever!

So, after I was reminded by my students, I decided I would have to celebrate in the best way that I could.  So, we rowdied up all of the Americans in the city (three!), one Indian, and two Brits, and all headed across the street to the local "Western Cafe", to see what we could find.  Well, what we found was a menu that was (slightly awkwardly) translated into English, and listed "Pumpkin Pie" under the desserts section!  You cannot imagine my excitement.

I should have known it was far too good to be true, and instead of the delicious American-style pie I was expecting, we got these little grease-soaked pumpkin biscuits instead:



Ah, well, we'll call it Pumpkin Pie With Chinese Characteristics.  It was at least something to remind us of home, and was kindly stamped with the Chinese characters for Happiness, Long Life, Money etc.  Thanks for the effort, guys.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jackson! Pumpkin Fried Thing forever!

Emily said...

Aw, I wish I could send pie in the mail.

Jessie said...

i'm glad you had class outside! that's so fun! the pumpkin pie looks less exciting. did it turn out to be the package? skype me soon!

Post a Comment