Tuesday, September 22

"Military Week"

One of the things you sortof just have to get used to here is the presence of the government.  Restricted internet, propaganda, etc..  I just try to be interested for the most part, and try not to judge, because it's my understanding that the average person here doesn't usually care too much one way or the other.  They're just trying to live their lives.  So, imagine my surprise when last Tuesday I woke up to uniform shouts, and upon investigation found literally thousands of students, trooping around campus in parade ground unison, led by military personnel in full fatigues.

 
My first thought was that there were two possibilities here:  either A) there is just a very strong interest in the Chinese version of ROTC here (unlikely), or B) I had stumbled upon a secret military training facility.



Luckily, there was an option C).  As it turns out, all first year students here are required to go through (lit.) "military preparation" before school starts each year (affectionately known as "military week").  I have yet to figure out exactly why, but I think it has to do with discipline, or somesuch.  Before I knew that, though, I wasn't completely discounting option B), so while I was trying to take pictures of the whole thing, I was actually a bit worried that some Chinese army official was going to smash my camera on the ground or something else crazy, so I had to be really subtle about the whole thing.  So most of my pictures here come from either very far away, or were shot from the hip.

And they wonder why Chinese students have such a hard time speaking up in Language classes...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson!! Great blog :) Love love love it, bc it's so very you. I am bummed that I never got in touch with you on your computer phone (what?) before you left. But your voicemail message made my month! Anyways, Congrats on making it to China! I hope that you have the most amazing experience & that I get to see you in person afterwards so that we can laugh about your crazy adventures. Do you have a permanent address over there? I didn't see it anywhere in this hi-tech blogosphere of yours. Can you make it simple & email it to me? Or post it somewhere obvious? Miss you!
-Tiff

Ali said...

a) yes! post an address (getting mail while in asia = amazing)
b) haha, yes, getting students to speak in language class is so fun (read: not at all) and I look forward to hearing how you do it (perhaps try a military-style approach?)

ps. way to be fancy and only show part of the post in the RSS-feed so that I actually have to come to your hard-won htmled-out website ;)

Jackson Davis said...

Thanks Tiff! And I'll post my address here as soon as I can figure out the English version; I keep forgetting to go ask someone. I can give you the Chinese version if you like =).

(And of course, Alisan. Can't be going through all that work for nothing =).)

Post a Comment