Thursday, September 17

Arrived, safe, and sound.... FOR NOW! ...(just kidding, mom.)

(Note: Due to the unfortunate unavailability of certain websites in my new host country, I was dropped off of the social scene for a bit.  While I have managed to regain access to Sinocopia (more on that later), I am still without Facebook, so you'll have to find another way to get in touch with me!  Also, the next couple of entries are from a few days ago.)

Whew!  Boy, are my arms tired!

Well, I finally made it to China.  And when I say finally, I mean finally.  All said and done, my journey from Tallahassee, FL to Xuchang, China was about 9,500 miles long, and took about 35 hours.  This seemed like a long time when I read about it, but I had no idea what that amount of time spent traveling actually felt like.  Now I know.  ...It feels like a really long time.


The Prep

First things first, though, I had to get ready to go.  Deciding what to bring on such a journey, particularly with the stringent packing requirements, is no easy task.  However, the Jackson Davis way of course prevailed, and by the time 1AM came 'round the night before, I had almost started unpacking my stuff from camp.  Needless to say, I did not sleep that much that night (or the subsequent two days, for that matter), but eventually, looking as dorky as ever, with everything I was bringing in tow, I was ready for the 3 hour drive to the airport. This was largely spent attempting to both sleep and console my teary-eyed mother at the same time.  NBD.


Leg One : Tallahassee>Jacksonville>Chicago

When I got to the JAX airport, I was a bit worried, as it seemed someone had tipped off the airlines that I was coming, and put out the alert.  Luckily, after 8 million security sweeps, checks, bugs, and unreasonable searches, they figured out I wasn't a terrorist, although I can see how I might seem suspicious.  Actually, I was amazed I got all my stuff on the airplane at all without a hitch; my backpack weighed exactly 49.8 pounds (the limit being 50), and the woman didn't charge me extra for the oversized guitar/camelback combo.  Awesome.

My good fortune kept up through the Chicago airport, where I came upon this wonderful family of Chinese natives jabbering away to each-other. At least, I think it was a family; I didn't ask. Anyway, I was very eager to meet some of my future compatriots, so I was able to overcome my shyness and talk to the daughter (incidentally nice, friendly, foreign, and pretty...) , and boy am I glad that I did.  The whole family was super nice, and eager to chat with this strange Chinese-speaking foreigner.  They are visiting a few cities in the US before heading back to Shanghai, and even told me if I ever went there, I should visit them!  So nice.  And then, as we left, the older gentleman, 张幼君 (lit: Young Lord), gave me his calling card, which apparently is something everyone here does.  As I would soon learn, this meeting was similar to most of the interactions I would soon have with the wonderful people of China, and I'm not just saying that for the internet censors.  I was sad to see them leave, and soon settled in for an absurdly long night.

Leg Two : Chicago>L.A.>Beijing

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to say about leg two.  It was dark, for a really long time, and everyone working there was bilingual, so I didn't even really get to practice my Chinese.  And, on my next two flights, to my great disappointment, I didn't get to sit next to anyone, much less anyone Chinese.  So sad =(!  One bonus of flying forever on Chinese airplanes, though:  they feed you Chinese food.









And at long last, after a painful 12 hour plane ride, I finally set foot on real Chinese soil. Or, at least, real Chinese airport tiles. But they were dirty tiles, so it totally counts.

(Note: that was totally a lie, the airport was super clean! -Ed)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun! And posted! ;) :D <3
whd.. ;)

Unknown said...

I don't know anyone else who would actually be disappointed about having two seats to himself on a 12 hour flight!

Post a Comment