Saturday, September 19

Ohmygodijustmovedtochinawhat?!

At the point of leaving the airport, I still had not really grasped at all what my trip was going to be like.  It dawned on me soon after that I had just moved.  To China.  Whoah.

The craziness that I witnessed merely on the car ride from the airport to Xuchang is nigh indescribable (although I will certainly make an effort in future posts).  3-wheeled cars, chickens running around, shopfronts with two tons of corn piled outside.  And people everywhere.  That's really the most striking feature so far: everywhere you look, no matter where you are, there are Chinese people everywhere.


For the first day-and-a-half or so, I didn't see a single other foreigner, and my sort-of boss (who spoke some rusty english) was gone for a few days.  Which meant I was on my own as far as figuring out how to eat, which at about 6am on the first, rainy morning (I was still on US time) became a very critical need.  Unfortunately, I had essentially no idea how to get food, and couldn't yet get it on campus.  So, fueled by starvation, I set off from my apartment in a random (wrong) direction, hoping /someone/ was awake to help me out.

I soon found myself in a small, crammed, muddy rural neighborhood, barraged by unfamiliar sights, sounds, and most of all, people.  Although I am glad I did not have my camera with me (I was getting enough stares as it was), I wish that I could somehow express the experience, but alas I am not sure even how to begin.  Perhaps I shall return one day with a camera, or a journal, and document this strange and wonderful place to share.  Eventually, though, I managed to find a woman with a large pot of soup in front of her house, which I managed to get in a plastic bag (not what I wanted, but I took what I could get) for 1 kuai (about 15 cents).  I was so proud =).

Luckily, everything became a bit easier after this experience, and I am slowly adjusting to my surroundings.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jacki!! I'm so happy you're going to keep this up- I immensely look foward to living vicariously through you...but I will eat my soup out of a bowl (or large mug) and appreciate it tenfold now :)

This experience is going to be INCREDIBLE for you! How do I find your Flickr account?

All my love,
Franny

Ethan said...

Jack-i-san, wow, China! nice! I like the joint xkcd/Terry Brooks reference in your subtitle.

Jon Mullen said...

Wow! Thanks for posting. Having grown up in Asia, I can so completely identify with what you are writing, and how you feel like you are a complete world away--and how sometimes, it seems like America, and all your friends and your life was just a dream---it's so completely different.

Okay, now I am getting homesick.

Thanks for the link...I'll keep watching for amazing pictures.

Jon

Post a Comment