Monday, January 10

Strange Things in China, Part 2

(Surprise!  I'm still in China!  Still in Xuchang, actually.  God only knows why.)

Last summer (I know, it was a while ago) I took my dad traveling around the country for a couple weeks, and one thing that seemed to really get him laughing was a rather strange-but-common sight during the summertime here: the tendency of Chinese men to roll their shirts up above their bellies on a hot day, no matter when or where (or who) they are.


Now, I wish I had a few more nice (?) photos of this phenomenon, but at the time I was not really interested in taking them, for two main reasons: (a) I was pretty accustomed to the sight already, and (b) I felt a bit strange taking pictures of men's bellies.

The most remarkable thing about the whole style, though, is the way in which it is worn: It doesn't matter if it's a rock-hard six-pack (it almost never is) or a nice flabby cushion, it gets put out there completely unabashedly, even rather proudly.  As if I just can't get enough of watching  a bunch of middle-aged men walking around poking-out and lovingly patting their bare fat stomachs (and probably smoking and spitting, too!).

There have certainly been many who have noticed this phenomenon (edit: there was even an article in the LA Times!), and I have heard two big theories from my Chinese friends on why it is so prevalent.  The first stems from a culturally ingrained notion of one's stomach temperature being very important for one's health:  I know several Chinese people who have pretty strong feelings about regulating their tummy-temp, and most belly-bearers seem to give this as their primary motive.  (And, to add a personal anecdote, my girlfriend won't eat ice cream because she thinks it makes her stomach too cold.)

The other reason comes from a perfectly healthy, rather slim (but definitely not skinny) friend of mine, who will occasionally decry his unfortunate lack of a good, manly belly.  I'm not sure what on Earth has gotten into some people's heads around here, but apparently "you just don't really count as being a 'man' unless you have a belly".

Well, keep on rockin' it guys.  Hope it works out for you.


(In order to make up for the required picture of a fat middle-aged man at the beginning of this post, I present you with a picture of a pretty girl as well.)


7 comments:

Ali said...

now the question is, after eating lots of chinese food and (perhaps/probably not exercising much), are you a man? ;)

Jackson Davis said...

I dunno, I felt pretty manly even before I came...

Ali said...

all you needed was a new definition, right?

Anonymous said...

I guess maybe I need to upload some pictures of August in China... :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/realityillusion/sets/72157625896828371/with/5434725963/

Francis Q said...

"Sinocopia", great word. I wish I came up with that word.

The protruding potbelly is indeed a common sight in summer around China.

This article below might shed some light,

http://ramblerwithoutborders.blogspot.sg/2012/06/pale-skin-dark-skin-and-fat-skin.html

Sou Fudao 搜辅导 said...

A former colleague of mine appropriately named this the "Beijing Bikini"

Laurence said...

Interesting topic, the differences between Chinese and western people are huge but the millennials are more and more open to the world
http://daxueconsulting.com/chinese-millennial/

Post a Comment