Thursday, February 25

Live from Xuchang, China

Now, you faithful readers may have to excuse me for a moment while I blow the cow (This is a funny Chinese joke! Laugh here!), but I had a fairly proud moment recently.  I'm terribly sorry about all the text with no pictures.

The Premise

So, about three weeks ago, I was contacted by a friend-of-a-friend-of-my-boss who worked for a local traffic-related radio station, and asked if I could help them with a short project.  Essentially, I was to read a few English sentences for them to record, and that would be it.  As I was on vacation, and didn't have a lot else going on at the time, I accepted, and was picked up by one of the radio hosts, "Snow" (雪冰 Xuěbīng).

When we got to the radio station, however, I found that what they instead had was a list of their program names, which they had translated into English as "Pair explosion comedy", "Story Program", and the like.  So, I first had to give their programs proper English names, and then record them so that they could announce their programs in Chinese and English.  Not because they actually have any English listeners as far as I can tell, but just because It's Cool.

The Plot Twist (*yawn*, predictable.)

I feel like interesting exploits are getting so cliché lately.  I can't walk around for two minutes without stubbing my toe on an adventure.

Anyhow, somehow during that process they figured out I could speak a little Chinese, and asked me if I wanted to be on their radio show in like 10 minutes.  Needless to say, I was terrified.  Now, I may be a bit extreme in that regard--I actually get pretty nervous whenever I go into a new restaurant to eat, and I'm still not entirely clear why--but I think most people would be pretty nervous if they were asked to go on a live radio show in a language they've only been speaking for a few months.  But, I decided a long time ago that that sort of thing shouldn't stop me (as that one woman always says, "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway"), so I went for it, and ended up doing a pretty long radio show.

The Result

Basically what this is leading up to is that you all can now listen to be blabber about nothing in Chinese!  Hooray!

The actual recorded section I have is about an hour and a half long (and that's only the last half!), so I'm obviously not going to post everything on here, but rather just a few sections, so you can have a quick listen if you like. Sorry about the poor audio quality; it was a big MP3.  Also, if you haven't studied any Chinese, well, good luck!

(12:11 - 2.8MB)

I don't have the first half of the recording, so there's no real introduction.  But the first clip is the best I could do, so I don't start talking a whole lot until about 2 minutes in.  In the first half, someone calls in to ask the usual sorts of questions, e.g.  "Where are you from?",  "Have you been anywhere besides Xuchang", "Are you fat?  I hear Americans are white and fat."  And then later we talk a lot about food, and what sorts of foods I like to eat.  Pretty much standard program for Chinese conversation.

(1:38 - 770KB)
 (Bonus! Download "On The Wing" by Owl City)
In the first half, the announcer asks me if I'm accustomed to life here, and then we introduce the next song we'll be playing.  What song you ask?  Why, of course it's "On the Wing" by Owl City.  Remember them?

(0:50 - 392KB)
(Bonus! Download 左眼皮跳跳 by 小文)
This small section is only interesting because I somehow decided it would be a good idea to sing a few bars in Chinese for the listeners.  Embarrassing.  But not too embarrassing to share with you, obviously.

 (11:10 - 2.5MB)

This is a rather long clip that involves us chatting about holidays, and their meanings and traditions.  In the beginning I discover that that particular day happened to be some obscure Chinese holiday, and then later I explain that Valentine's Day happens because St. Valentine was eaten by a lion in the Colosseum.  I have no idea if this is true or not; I'm basing it entirely on a movie adaptation of the story that I watched in elementary school.


Denoument

So I figured since it's basically a traffic radio station, there probably wasn't much of anyone listening to me talk anyways, but lo and behold, not only did I get a text message half-way through from a friend saying she was listening to my program, but I've also had two taxi drivers chat away about how they heard me on the radio that one time.  Life here continues to be interesting.

I was kindof proud of myself afterwards, actually.  For three months of Chinese class three years ago, plus about 4 months working here, I think I'm doing alright.



PS - If you did not like this post, please accept this picture of an alien robot instead.  His name is Alfred and he lives in my living room.

8 comments:

Ali said...

hahahaha I love how excited they get when you sing! WOW?! the foreigner sings?? who knew? (best part was that I knew the song)
not only is your accent good, but your speed/fluency sounds really great too (considering I don't know most of what you're saying), well done, I'm glad you're famous - and I can completely relate to being nervous every time you go to a new restaurant (because at the other one, they know what words you know and how fast they can speak...and the new one, well, they're scary)

Jessie said...

awww jackson i loved it:)

Anonymous said...

Ha-ha-ha, you are famous. I couldn't understand a word of it, and almost didn't recognize your voice, but I would know that laugh anywhere! The song that you posted was pretty too. Jackson's amazing adventures, what will happen next?? I'm glad the alien robot is there to keep you company. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I just checked out your blog for the first time since your first post, and I read (almost) ALL of it. Very entertaining!
I was almost crying during the student note card series. Thanks for giving me an excuse to lay in bed for an extra hour!
xoxo,
Jake

Anonymous said...

Fun Jackson! Just got the 'net back and found this very amusing! Like Mom, didn't recognize who was whom, 'til the laugh! Then, I was amazed it was you: Whodathunk you could speak Chinese so quickly and convincingly! It, to me, is just an amazing accomplishment. I am so proud of you, if not also jealous! :D

Emily said...

Good to have you back snugglebug

Mike said...

This is an amazing post! I have experienced the same thing with Korean!

Anonymous said...

9 11 attacks, did usa do it itself or it just let it happen?
Did usa administration murder 3000 american citizen in 9 11 attacks to justify starting a war against iraq?
If al-qaeda did it, why go to kill 2 million Iraqi?
OIL seem to be the motive of the crime.. which crime? killing of 2 million Iraqi or 3000 american?

Some of the benefits American say they achieved after 9 11 attacks include:
*constant flow of oil, which price is in continuous decline. Trump said he will simply take the Iraqi oil, and when he was told that Iraqi oil belongs to iraq he said there is no iraq(after usa destroyed it ).
*Invasion of afghanstan with construction of not less than 14 american military base which give a close eye on china.
*Removal of potential threat to isreal represented in iraq which throw isreal with more than 30 rocket after American assault on iraq during 2nd gulf war.

Can we believe that Al-qaeda personel who received few weeks of aviation lessons in usa and most of them never did fly single engine aircraft alone, can target the towers with a big high sophisticated boeing airplane?
Usa declared its intent to start creative chaos in the middle east. In order to start all these wars usa needed a big event to use it a as a cause to start these wars and violence. They simply needed something as big as 9 11 attacks.
Did usa train and supply isis with weapons ‘like it with al-qeada’ to play a major role in creating chaos in the middle east?
Saddam who lost most of his power in 2nd gulf war and further by siege “in oil for food program which deprived iraq even from pencils for the kid” ,Saddam did not allow al-qaeda to enter iraq , not even to support him against usa.
But only after usa occupation of iraq, isis started to appear in iraq.
Did usa pave the way for isis to iraq to play a major role of creative chaos that still burning iraq?
Plz publish my questions



Post a Comment